Originally Posted by blackcat
I'm assuming you decluttered his bedroom? We cleaned basically everything out of DD's room and she had a bunch of empty bins in her closet to put any stuff which ends up in her room (closet has a bunch of wire shelfs). We are making her pick stuff up off the flooor and vacuum about 1X per week so it doesn't become a trash pit.
Yes, DS room is pretty bare and fortunately has a built in desk/drawer/shelf thingy. He still manages to accumulate *actual* trash because he eats in there all. the. time. which is supposed to be against the rules (I say supposed to be--but I've been really bad about enforcement--primarily bc the kitchen table is always covered in piles!)

She has an actual bin for the DS right in her room along with the charger.
For the other electronic stuff, we installed a set of cabinets/drawers along one entire wall in the family room (so they look built in), and this includes space for a TV. We actually used stock kitchen cabinets and a countertop from a home improvement store and painted the cabinets. It basically looks like a built in entertainment system. If I had my way, I would put all that charging stuff in one of the cabinets, out of sight, but Dh has that stuff scattered all over the house. The cell phones are charged by the land line in the kitchen.
I love this idea, and am working on something similar...cabinets with standard/bracket shelving above on a wall in LR that is essentially wasted space.

DD sometimes does her own laundry but complains about getting it up/down 3 flights of steps. So I end up doing it most of the time. Probably need to be more consistent about having her at least load stuff in/out of machines.
Laundry is the bane of my existence and the most maddening thing of all is when they put CLEAN clothes in the hamper bc too lazy to pick up. I am considering assigning each child a "laundry day" in which they have the washer/dryer with no interference. I think it might help to allow them to just wash everything on cold, together (this will drive me insane--I'm very weird about laundry--but perhaps I can relax a little).

I have a small wood desk in one corner of the kitchen and a shelf attached above it, with organizers with everyone's name. to shove papers. It drives me nuts when papers end up all over the kitchen counter/table.
I don't have a space for this but can do something similar. I worry about shoving away papers bc for us, out of sight is out of mind and we might forget important deadlines, activities, etc.

2 kitchen drawers hold all that art/craft junk and there is a separate large box for crayons/markers sitting in the living room. Need to find a better place.

I have a heavy duty wire shelf with bins that is currently holding all of our tools, lightbulbs, etc., in the garage. Am thinking of bringing it in to the the dining room (not formal, open to kitchen), having DD label bins, and getting rid of all the packaging--for instance, all markers in one, colored pencils in another, scissors, glue, tape, etc. Could also use for school things? Rulers, protractors, paper, etc.? I am trying to let go of things being "pretty" and making it all more functional.