Originally Posted by knute974
Normally, we have our 504 meeting in the fall. I fell some sense of urgency with this because the two teachers who have been DD's emotional support are leaving. I'm having a hard time accepting that the new teachers, both in writing intensive classes, could possibly come up with a better proposal than a teacher who has had my kid in the classroom for the past year.

The input from this year's teachers is invaluable, and you want that to be considered and included in next year's 504. That doesn't mean that the input from next year's teachers isn't also valuable. You've done exactly what you need to do to capture input from one of this year's teachers (do you have the same input from the other teacher who is leaving?). It sounds like you're just running into the end-of-the-school year time when everyone is busy or has already left and it's not easy to pull together an update meeting. My guess is that if you'd made a request (for the same reason) for an update meeting 1-2 months before school was out, the meeting would have come together. Chances are you didn't know they were leaving then.

I wouldn't panic and assume that their input won't be included in next year's 504 - you have documented information from at least one of the teachers, thoughtfully put together. You've made a written request to update the 504. When you have the 504 meeting in the fall with the new teachers, include the information from the teachers, preferably in a letter form that comes from them. Make sure it's discussed and considered. Fight to include it if you have to. My guess is that the new teachers will *want* to hear the input from the previous teachers, specifically because they haven't taught your dd yet.

polarbear