I'll be interested in the replies knute, as our ds' school has a similar approach/attitude. There's a small part of it that makes sense - the team needs to agree accommodations are needed and appropriate, but the accommodations aren't meant to be designed at the teacher's convenience, they should be designed to provide FAPE.

In your situation (if you were in our district), there wouldn't be anything that would happen at this point in the year - the counselors are gone once school is out, and 504 plans aren't reviewed until school starts in the fall. Until that annual meeting in the fall takes place, the 504 plan from the previous year (or previous school) is considered to be still in place and has to be followed. Our school specifically wants the new teachers for the new school year to be the teachers present at the 504 meeting, so that they understand what the accommodations are and can bring up any concerns about the accommodations - all of which I think is fine, as long as they aren't saying they can't do something because it isn't convenient or they don't want to etc. I think it's possible that's all your 504 coordinator meant by waiting until fall when the new teacher had been hired. I think it was a *good* thing for our ds that his 504 meeting was held in the fall with his new teachers because when there were issues during the school year we were able to refer back to the meeting at which these specific teachers had agreed to the accommodations. If you want to get the 504 updated before the start of the school year, I'd send your request for an update in writing to whoever the head of your district's 504 program is, cc the school counselor, and request a reply within 10 days. I am guessing that the person who is in charge of 504s for the district is likely to still be working over the summer.

Since this year's teacher helped you with the draft recommendations, I'd get a letter from her listing them if you can, to lend credibility to the request.

Good luck!

polarbear