Originally Posted by Pinecroft
I have several meetings with administration and teachers coming up at which my children will or may be discussed. Will you all help me to use the right terminology to describe them? Are they highly gifted? Just generally gifted with high giftedness in one area?

Pinecroft, I haven't read all of the replies, so please forgive me if I repeat what someone else has said. This is just my experiece/opinion, based on having older kids and having advocated for a number of years at this point in time. I'd first not worry about what to call the LOG - the definition of terms such as "highly gifted" etc varies depending on who you are talking to or who you are referencing. To quantify intellectual giftedness, I've found it's easier to frame test results in terms of how unusual the results are. Percentiles and the bell curve are things that most school staff are familiar with and are easy ways to quickly put a frame around how atypical your child is. Understanding a little bit about the statistics involved with typical testing can go along way too.

Fwiw, your children have an additional level of not-being-typical in the split between VCI and PRI. Do you see a reflection of this in their academic work?

Which leads to my next piece of advice about advocating - it's been my experience that schools are much more interested in using achievement as proof of need to accelerate rather than accelerating based on IQ alone. It will help you when advocating to have work samples, a list of work that your child has accomplished, or out-of-the-ballpark achievement scores etc with you when you meet with the school.

Last piece of advice, learn what you can about the school district curriculum specs for the grade your child is in and the next 2+ years (whatever span is relevant for your child). Go in armed with the information you might expect the school to supply you with - I was surprised how many times our school staff would just say "I don't know" or "We do that in grade x" etc expecting me to just shut up, accept what they had to say, and go home so they could move on.

Best wishes,

polarbear