Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
My own prediction is that employers are eventually going to get savvy to the reality, which is that the SMARTEST, and MOST MATURE students from middle class homes are opting out of crushing student debt-- it's not that they couldn't go to HYPS or other elite schools, but that they took a pragmatic look, took off the rose
colored glasses, and decided NOT to do that.

What employers are we talking about here?

Awesome employers want employees from awesome institutions. It's more about being awesome than anything else. Since there are only a certain number of awesome jobs available, this is not going to change.

Normal, non-awesome, employers who actually do things rather than simply shimmer with awesomeness and attract wealth generally want someone who can do the job.

Pretty sure that if you're awesome, being middle class doesn't really apply to you.

So I think that the awesome people don't need to think about this.

Yes, but if you end up in the middle class, you are irrelevant to the smooth functioning of the global financial hypereconomy, and nobody wants to be irrelevant.

I think that the problem is that you can't be awesome without an awesome education, so you are faced with the choice of throwing yourself into the middle class, which guarantees total life failure, or taking on a massive amount of debt, which only carries an extremely high risk of total life failure.

It's kind of like being in a burning building. You either stay inside and definitely burn to death or jump out of the 10th floor window and only suffer a 95% chance of death.