Originally Posted by NotherBen
DS is registered for drivers ed in the fall. Rant alert: his counselor asked me several months ago why DS hadn't taken drivers ed yet. And DS asked me the same question independently. I couldn't believe it. The kids register with their counselors, not with their parents, and we don't have to sign off. Even though we talk about it with our kids, what happens in the counselor's office, stays in the counselor's office. Perhaps he will take it privately this summer, he can't take it through summer school because he is also taking USH. But it would be very time consuming. By taking it in the fall, he gets some free periods during the week in addition to lunch, and that could be a good thing for him. He had half a period free this year, and he needed that.
Drivers Ed is not done at the school in my area. You have to do it privately. It's one of those things that got cut because of $$. It was the first thing I did when I moved to this stae. The H.S. summer school used to teach it but don't even bother to do that anymore. Most students take the class online. Drivers training is different and that again is done privately.

I had a parent meeting with my child & the counselor this year and got some say into the plan for the next two years. After this we don't meet with the counselor. Although because DS has the 504 I have a bit more contact with his counselor than we would otherwise. DS isn't going to take a heavy load next year, band & marching band count for two classes, two AP's in math & science, English & Spanish. Unlike some of his friends that will trying to take upwards of 4+ AP classes.