Well, our school, while competitive, is not in the same leagues being discussed here. However, there are certainly kids that fit these descriptions. DDs middle school academic-team teammates who were fixated on winning medals, because it would look good on their college app, for example. Or the kids who are admonished or punished by their parents for less than acceptable performance, be it academic or otherwise.

However, not all the kids are like this, and at least here, it is possible for them to co-exist. DD considers them friends, but is able to distance herself and step back from the easily recognizable craziness. (While a couple kids were fixated on getting medals, she and some others were worrying about what crazy hats they wanted to wear, or what to bring to the swap meet.) If one can maintain perspective and balance, admittedly not always easy, I think one may be able to enjoy the benefits of the opportunities and peers and stay out of the fray. And at least so far, I do believe my DD is truly happy.