I am changing it to:
Gunn/Monta Vista/Cupertino High/Paly/Saratoga High smile I am sure that there are equally high performing schools all over the country and in CA (considering CA schools rate very low, the other states must have a better share of them).

I had to LOL at this. Seriously though, isn't Lynbrook better than Cupertino High ? I thought Lynbrook/Monta Vista/Saratoga High/Paly/Gunn were the top-tier high schools in the valley/forest.

It also bothers me so much that a lot of school districts are not good in most towns in the Bay Area.

The battle is now taking place in extracurriculars, which gives even more advantage to wealthier kids with more involved parents and can also disadvantage highly gifted kids who might be pointier when compared to the less gifted kids who are "well rounded" because they are varsity athletes or student body presidents.

I agree with this. The focus on extracurriculars is crazy. And what's even crazier, once the kid gets into a college of his/her choice, they drop the extracurricular like a hot potato. I joke saying that the extracurricular is actually more parent-driven than child-driven.