Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by Bluemagic
One thing I noted from the article that I see in the students I know. Most of them will accept the "top rated" school they get into irregardless of fit. I remember asking one young woman a few years back why she chose X Ivy League, and she honestly said "it was the best school I got into."

Yes! This! And it continues, too..."best" law/med school, "best" specialty, "best" corporate firm/hospital,... until the body, mind, or both can't take the constant pressure (or the drudgery of doing something outwardly prestigious that they hate) and they snap. The brightest people are starving themselves of food, sleep, exercise, and human contact, then fail at being Perfect while operating 18+ hours/day in The Ideal Role and suddenly have a crisis of identity. Because, if they can't be superhuman, then clearly everything they thought they knew about themselves must be discarded.

And then this happens, and they feel like imposters in their own skin:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

You are supposed to go to the "best law school" that accepts you because that's how law world works.

Law world is massively overproducing lawyers with overpriced tuition.

Law school doesn't really have "fit", unless you are talking about similarly ranked schools.

See current employment stats for details.

Yes, and when two lawyers from the top school and top firm with corner offices meet, any ties are broken by whose book last year was worth more. Dance, puppets!

That's so 20th century.

I'm talking about the more relevant modern question:

"Will I be able to find any employment at all that will allow me to pay back my $200,000 debt within my lifetime?"