Welcome to the boards Steph! Portia has given you excellent advice, and it sounds like your meeting with the principal went well. You'll also be getting additional info and suggestions from the evaluation by the Children's Hospital, so you're on a good path - it may get bumpy at times but it will be ok!

A few thoughts:

1) This is kindergarten. It's great that the school is willing to differentiate, and definitely advocate for it as much as possible, but if he doesn't receive differentiated academics, at the end of the day (year), it will be ok. The thing to focus on and fight with every bit of spunk you have for is to understand what's at the root of his behavior challenges, help him learn coping strategies, remediate if there is a need to, and put accommodations in place so that he can be successful in school. f you can accomplish this, then he will be ready to *fly* later on when it's easier to get differentiation in upper grade levels.

2) Again, remember this is kindergarten. Your son most likely be the only child with issues with transitioning etc. I'm not mentioning this to downplay his needs, but to help you feel a bit less worry smile It may be more intense with your ds - or it might not.

3) Do you have the subtest scores for processing speed? I've heard that a gap such as your ds' is quite common, but fwiw, I also am sure I've seen similar range gaps posted here on the board where the gap is in a child who has a challenge that is reflected in the processing speed. My ds has an issue that impacts his processing speed score on the WISC, but it's a larger gap so perhaps not relevant. The thing is, if you see a large gap in the subtest scores, you might want to look into some further testing - which the Children's Hospital eval might also pick up on and test. If there is something up there, I'd want to know, because when a child is young, frustration with a hidden challenge can erupt as poor or impulsive behavior, and addressing the behavior might help, but it won't make the underlying issue disappear and the frustration will continue.

Best wishes,

polarbear