Back to the thread's theme of National Autism Awareness...

Here is a resource linked from an article mentioned on another thread: Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative ( SFARI )
Originally Posted by article
One place that I find consistently good interpretation and synthesis of autism science is SFARI.org, website for the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative. It’s another autism organization begun by a well-heeled philanthropist with an autistic family member, but the focus of both the organization’s funding and the science communicators on the site is solidly scientific. What appears to be lacking is autistic representation and autistic voice, something Autism Speaks no longer has, either. But at least SFARI is getting it right on the science and doing it without roundly offending autistic people in the process.

Other resources frequently mentioned on the forums, which newcomers may wish to find together on a thread, include:
- book: From Emotions to Advocacy
- book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses

Resources listed on the Davidson Database include:
1) Gifted Children with Asperger's Syndrome
2) Asperger's: What Does It Mean to Me (2000). A newer version (2014) is now available: Autism: What Does it Mean to Me.
I understand this new version, including title change, arose in response to the release of DSM-5 in 2013 (which reflects changes from DSM-4). This link to the CDC summary of diagnostic criteria explains that Asperger's is now considered to be within the Autism Spectrum.
3) Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
4) Asperger's Disorder Homepage

This is just a starting point, some may call it "ASD 101", there are many other resources available.