Originally Posted by aquinas
never crawled, started walking at 9mo; very early hand coordination for pincer grasp and tool use). But he has quirks that stand out, like the stairs--he'll only use his right leg to climb--and the arts and crafts refusal (while eagerly helping me build shelves or do woodworking).[quote]

I wouldn't know if it's meaningful for your ds or not, and it's probably in your best interest for me to caution you not to read this reply from me (based on my previous reply suggesting not googling lol!)... but fwiw, I heard quite a bit when my kids were infants/toddlers about the importance of crawling and how the absence of crawling sometimes tied into later issues with crossing midline and reading. That was a decade ago, however, and might have since been proved to be totally bogus!

[quote]What concerns me is the drop off in motivation in areas of previous interest, like the reading. If it's organic, that's fine. Passions wax and wane. I just don't want to have some physical impediment stymie an interest.

This happened (re reading) with my dyslexic dd. It also happened with my 2e ds who really doesn't have any reading challenges - or so we think. When he did pick up reading he picked it up like gangbusters and was reading at an extraordinarily high level. Now in high school I sometimes wonder about his reading comprehension. Deciphering what's what with 2e kids isn't easy! With my dyslexic dd, it was definitely related to a true challenge that impacted reading. I think it's always worth listening to your gut - if you test and then find out everything's ok, that's ok! And it will save a lot of worry. If you test and find out there is a challenge, then you'll be very happy that you looked into it while your ds was still young.

polarbear