I'm sure lots of parents here get this reaction from teachers, but it still bothers me. I've recently talked with a district administrator and a school teacher about maybe coming up with special arrangements for DD10 who is a gifted musician so that she can make better use of the time during school's instrument program. The reaction, in a very subtle but unmistakable way, was that I must be nuts to think that my kid is more advanced than other kids, even though I am very familiar with the local music education scene. I don't even talk with school teachers anymore about math or reading or foreign language... But I thought music is something where a kid's level is so easy to tell: what is the kid's repertoire, how many years of ensemble experience, the level of the orchestra, etc. ... Oh well, DD has asked me for a couple of years to talk to the school about her music class arrangement, I promised I'd fight, then it turns out harder than I thought and DD seems discouraged. I'm still trying though. Any thoughts?