Sorry in advance for the rant, but we just got home from our public school kindy registration and I want to rip my hair out of my head. Honestly, I'm not sure it could have gone worse - for two reasons, the K teacher and my bull-headed child.

So we get there, and before they take him away for a screening, I literally say to DS, "make sure you answer the teacher's questions, and do the best you can." (because I know my son, and he can be a huge butt about answering things when he doesn't want to.) So they go off. They return a little while later and K teacher says that he is clearly very bright (because he knows his letters and 1-10) but wasn't able to retell the story she told him, and basically didn't read any of the words he put in front of him. (mind you, we gave them DS's PG eval, which K teacher didn't even look at). Plus he was really excited and didn't really sit still. I take DS aside and ask him what happened. He says "I just didn't want to answer her questions, I thought it would take too long; it was boring." I ask him to tell me the story, and he tells me the whole thing, something about buying new shoes because the old ones weren't good anymore, simple stuff. I call the teacher back and apologize...tell her that DS was being a pain and didn't want to answer but he knew everything and tell her about the story, to which she basically says, "well, I'm not going to argue with you about it!", with a major attitude. So I am standing there speechless. And furious. I mean, what kind of reaction is that? And of course, she is the only K teacher. One thing is for sure, I will in no uncertain terms put my child into her classroom. Her reaction was absurd - she had decided that she knew what was best for my child based on the 3 mins she had with him (which were clearly not his best 3 mins, unfortunately) , and we are crazy overbearing parents. No flexibility, no communication, no willingness to believe what we were saying. I wanted to scream. Also, of all the days to be ornery, of course DS would pick this one. SMH.

DH still wants to talk to the principal/guidance counselor about the possibility of 1st grade, but I'm not sure I even want to do that now. It will be way too easy academically, and the whole atmosphere of having to sit for a million hours a day is really not DS's style - he is an energetic, fidgety kid. I guess I'm just really disappointed because I hoped for a better outcome. Or at least, not a total train wreck. Sigh....back to the drawing board.

M

Last edited by Marnie; 03/31/15 10:54 AM.