I always want to be helpful, so, I put in my two cents, only because you are asking.

Here's the thing; don't focus on any one topic / subject at any one time.

The cool thing about the gifted / HG kids is that, if and when they want to do something they will do it and, likely, with flying colors.

So, you might know that your child needs x instead of y, but also know that in the future, if the gifted person is really wanting to know about x, they really can get themselves up to speed very quickly; I think that may be why, originally, someone decided to call these highly intellectual people "gifted."

Also, and this is just a thought (please throw it out if it does not apply or is totally off-base), part of the matter (even on a subconscious basis) might be a very healthy, normal part of asserting one's own independence and saying "No, I am not doing that." That would seem normal to me (especially mother-daughter seems to be written about a lot). And, I have a theory that the gifted children demonstrate this type of behavior very early-on, but the children not in that range exhibit it in high-school or college. Thus, the asynchronous label and we are going through stages at varying times / ages.