What is the reason for taking the class, considering that you've successfully advocated for a grade skip for your dd and she's doing well in math at school? Is it something you would have had her do before finding out she was gifted?

I think it's really important to learn the lesson of sticking with things that we commit to in life, but this sounds more like a situation where *you* made the decision to commit to the class, not your dd. I also think it's important to offer classes like this as after-schooling when our children either *request* them or when our kids need help to fill in gaps or to keep up - but it doesn't sound like any of these situations apply here. If your dd is reading "Life of Fred" for fun - go with it, let that be her "extra". And if she doesn't want to do any kind of extra math after school, I'd suggest letting her not do any - unless there's a really compelling reason to make her study math after school.

If she does need to make up some gaps - I'd consider having her tutored or study math in the summer. Expecting a child to study after school when it's something they haven't bought into, aren't passionately interested, and don't want to do, is tough - on both the child and the parent! I'd give both of you a break, and suggest if you want her to be after schooling for the sake of enrichment, find a subject or program she's interested in. Or find a new sport to try. Once *she's* chosen the program then you can require her to stick with it until it's over.

polarbear

ps - I may not be in the majority on this, but if your dd *isn't* behind in math, and doesn't want to study it outside of school, I think it's ok to just let it be what it is in school for now - easy. When she hits middle school she'll have a chance to accelerate. She might not be as far ahead at that point in time if you do no after-schooling vs having her sit through a class in pre-algebra each week, but (jmo), that's ok. It's not going to be the end of the world for her if she's not multi-grade accelerated in math.

Last edited by polarbear; 03/13/15 05:31 PM.