Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Originally Posted by Jodie
This person also told me the different IQ tests were all "basically the same" and there is no need to worry about finding the "right" test to bring out my daughters strengths. Needless to say, I wasn't filled with confidence.

These statements don't actually bother me. There may be subtle differences between the tests, but I don't think that any of the full (not screening) instruments would miss a gifted child entirely. aeh, do you agree?
Yes. Though the tests each have different strengths, and there are nuances which favor certain kinds of giftedness in each test, all of the standard comprehensive cognitive instruments should be able to spot some indication of giftedness, with the possible exception of certain types of 2e kids, whose testing profiles might require a little more clinical skill to interpret. But even then, none of the tests is likely to miss giftedness entirely, somewhere among the index scores, even if the global score doesn't hit the magic threshold.

I have my favorites, of course, for various reasons, but I wouldn't discount results from one of the other ones. The more important perspective on the "right" test is actually the examiner, who is largely responsible for setting the examinee at ease, drawing out optimal performance from her, and having the clinical skill to interpret test behavior and results in the context of the child and her family system.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...