Thanks, Aeh, that helps put things in perspective a bit. I understand her scores were good by comparison, but her teacher and I both were surprised by them and didn't feel that they really reflected her true ability. Perhaps it's just too soon. I also know they did the screening on a particularly "off" day for her (getting sick, no sleep, etc.), but of course they don't tell you in advance what test they are doing or when, so no avoiding that.
I did a little digging this afternoon and found a few sources that indicated the Kbit2 can fail to identify some gifted children as compared to the WISC III and IV (not the WISC V?), so screeners should "use caution" when screening for gifted programs. Then I saw other articles stating that the KBIT gave scores higher than the WISC and my head really started spinning!I suppose you must be careful about which versions you are comparing if you really want to split hairs.
But truly, we are concerned about her getting the best fit academically, because she often (not always) has a very difficult personality. High perfectionism, refuses tasks or negotiates to get out of work, "plays dumb" pretending she doesn't know her alphabet or the days of the week, and just generally drives us mad if she feels like causing trouble. Other times she is an absolute dream to work with. We are struggling to find out what type of environment will bring out more of the "dream" student and less of the uncooperative streak in her. I was looking to testing to see if I could qualify her for some of the youth programs offered by Davidson and others, hoping that being exposed to material designed to engage her interest and challenge her might help.