The others are right -- get him in touch with people who are more like him, whatever the age. As we get older, we have friends of all ages, and your ds's peers are likely not his age at this point; this is pretty common with gifted kids. Try a university nearby for a book club, or see if you can get him into a correspondence course with college students -- creative writing, English, etc.

With brilliance often comes loneliness, and when paired with teenage emotions ... it's hard. Teens often feel isolated and alone even when they're normally developing, but throw in the gifted factor and it can be a big problem. Have you tried looking for online support boards for gifted teens? I'd be really surprised if there aren't any out there, but my guy is still little so I haven't looked. Heck -- give your ds a mission to start his own! I'm sure there'd be a large audience that would appreciate such a board if one doesn't already exist.

I had a rough teenagehood too (some pretty serious depression included), and I would have loved for someone to have done *something*. At the very least, you're tuned in and caring, and even though it may not look like it now, that is huge.

And I have to agree with Kriston's words of wisdom:

Originally Posted by Kriston
He's not a weirdo: he's just a normal gifted kid!

Mia