In our district, they are not expecting the current algebra2/trig classes or above to have covered common core material. My DD is in the first geometry common core class in our district (and was in the first algebra common core last year, and the first middle school common core classes before that). We are in NYS, where final exams in math include a state-wide regents exam. DD's class has been given both the "old" regents and the new common-core regents exam for algebra, and they will also take both for geometry (including a local exam, which is expected to be the most rigorous, though no one has seen the common-core aligned geometry regents yet). The higher score of the two regents exams is considered the "official" score. As far as I know, the older classes are not expected to take any common-core aligned regents exams, and the classes behind my daughter's will only take the common-core aligned exam. I think both were given to my daughter's class mainly because theirs was the first year to take the common core aligned exam and no one knew exactly what to expect. (For the record, the general feeling was that the common core regents was more difficult, mainly because it required much more writing and explanation).
ETA: I meant to say that our district has refused/halted any and all math acceleration (not that there was much here before) for the past several years, I assume in part due to these curricular changes. (There were also reportedly problems like those alluded to in previous posts, where highly accelerated kids were found to be struggling in later HS and early college math classes. At least, that's what they tell us).

Last edited by cricket3; 02/25/15 11:20 AM.