I live in a state where gifted programming is not mandated and while I know of some schools in the state that do offer such programs for high ability learners, ours does not. frown

Another parent and I will be meeting with the superintendent and asst. superintendent next week and the focus of our discussion will be on parental involvement and GT issues. I'm nervous about it, having never done anything like this before, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I've done quite a bit of reading, have a lot of info at my fingertips, but would like a bit of support and ideas on what to focus on re: GT issues. Basically, my thought is that stressing the need for opportunities for high ability learners at the elementary school level especially will take center stage. But I've been trying to figure out solutions or ideas we can offer to help support the school to address the needs of GT students. When my daughter entered K at this school, we heard many times over that nothing re: GT programming was available, but that there was so much more in the way of enrichment opportunities waiting for her in middle school. That's hardly consolation of any kind! All of her teachers, including the principal, acknowledge my dd's abilities, but nothing is done. We suggested a grade-skip, but the team decided against it at school, citing concern over my dd's ability to fit in with older kids and the effect that might have on her social-emotional development. The teachers are already stretched so thin trying to bring achievement scores up, that students like my dd are left to languish. My friend's dd was grade skipped, but she still feels like her dd's needs aren't being met either. We know we're not the only ones whose children are in this position.

Can anyone else here offer advice on what we as parents can offer as solutions to the problem re: lack of opportunities for GT students? I think we're all set on presenting problems, but in my experience, more credence is given to our arguments when we can offer solutions as well.