Our psychologist spent the last session talking with DD9 about DD's diagnosis of ADHD inattentive type. DD came out of the meeting muttering about "the scary lady", as she calls the psych. DD did not want to discuss what went on in the session (absolutely not!!). Just so you know, DD does not believe that the psych. really likes her (or any other kid). DD claims the psych. is just doing a job that she gets paid for, and that the woman is just faking being nice to her. DD10 likes the woman as do my husband and I. She is really kind!! So frustrating that DD won't work with this woman.

I spent time attempting to speak with DD about ADHD today. I brought up book characters who deal with it, compared it to wearing glasses, etc (used terms/phrase I have seen mentioned here). DD would have none of it, and she argued that it was NOT physical in nature. As usual (when she is highly agitated) she wiggled and wiggled as she sat in my lap. Finally she stated that she was not going to talk about it any more. Oh no.
So, can anyone care to lead me to some good books to give her (she's a non fiction reader for sure)? Websites for me to help me explain myself better? I can't wait to hear if DD does talk about it with the therapist because DD has said over and over that while it is ok for others to talk to their therapist, she has no intention of sharing her "personal business". Big sigh from me. Where in the world did she get the idea that it is not a good idea to talk to a therapist? FYI - many of our family members are in the mental health field so therapists are part of her every day experience.

Oh, by the way, the therapist doesn't usually do "talk therapy" - it's very play or art based.