Originally Posted by master of none
Wow, AEH, that's current treatment? That would never work for my DS. We have considered having him videotape (hah, as if videotape still exists) his school presentations, and that was met with an increase in anxiety. The best we can do is have his sister narrate for him using a script that he writes for a powerpoint that he produces. But, mostly, he just gets Cs and Ds and Fs on any oral presentation with the excuse from his high school that it's not much of the total grade when we point to the 504. DS is not the kind who can speak in a small group, one on one, etc. He actually does best with large group speaking, but it's still not up to snuff because he is very brief and quiet. He does not like to see pictures of himself, or videos, or hear his own voice. He has dysgraphia too which at one time made him totally unable to communicate at school.
Well I am sure social anxiety plays into my DS's problems as well. He does have a dx of anxiety disorder. He has gotten better partly because lately he WANTS to get better and thus is working on these skills with his psychologist and typically will try things she suggests while ignoring it if I suggest the same thing. (;-) typical teenager) Also for my DS oddly he is OK with a formal oral report and has more problems talking when working in a small groups or answering a question when put on the spot.

For a 6 year old, I would seek help with someone who has experience with anxiety problems. It's possible that school or school district might have social skills classes or groups that could help her.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/17/14 12:40 PM.