Welcome!

In answer to your specific question, my understanding of the criteria is that your child would need scores of 145 or above in VCI, PRI, GAI (which is a composite generated from the VCI and PRI only), or FSIQ, which is not the case. This is not to downplay the need for support and community that you and your child may need. Or restrict you from online forums like this one. (I don't have any DYS-identified children.)

Your child has some nice strengths, but also has a profile that is not easily captured by either the Full Scale or the alternative General Ability Index. It would be interesting to know if the subtests within the Index scores were consistent, or if there was variability there as well. And, as a general caveat, IQ/cognitive scores in young children are not extremely stable, so these could change a bit in three years.

With a 2.7 standard deviation range from lowest to highest Index score, I would be hesitant to put too much weight on the global composite scores. The strongest areas are perceptual reasoning and working memory, which often combine to manifest as academic strengths in math. Given the relatively (though not disturbingly) low processing speed score, in the high average range, I wonder if perceptual reasoning might have been affected by the one timed subtest (block design) counted into that index. The language reasoning area is essentially average, which constitutes a significant relative weakness (though not normative weakness, obviously, since it is, as mentioned, average). This may suggest the presence of a learning difference or disability of some kind (2e, or twice exceptional). Since you homeschool, you are in a good position to tailor instruction to challenge areas of strength and support relative weaknesses, without having to arbitrarily advance subjects that are not as exceptional.

Is there a supportive homeschool community where you are?

Last edited by aeh; 12/08/14 05:49 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...