Originally Posted by puffin
Yes I realised I was wrong. Well at least I wad only right if prior to that students had equal access. I am low income so I forget that the fact I had a good education offsets the income a lot for my kids. I can't always send them to stuff but I can discuss science and maths.

Eta. Although in the case being discussed it did sound like the decision was not made on grades.

I have always thought it would be fun to insist all sports teams be made up of an equal mix of low, middle and high performing players. Surely if it is beneficial in academics it should be beneficial in sport?

LOL! Yes it would be fun to see the faces. I promise next time this comes up in real life, I'll try it out. Problem is, there is so much ideology in these debates, and these ideological folks just have no sense of humour...

Seriously, the one difference is that while most of us couldn't care less about raising standards for low skilled people in sports, we do all of us have a stake in raising standards in academic skills related to employment prospects. There may have to be some trade off.
It is related to the debate about how much inclusion of special needs children regular classrooms can take without damage to educational outcomes for the regular kids. I will of course work to have my youngest special needs child mainstreamed as far as possible, but I am perfectly aware that among those regular healthy kids, there will have to be those who could turn out to be the super qualified neurosurgeons my child needs to maintain his quality of life, and I would not want to disrupt their education in any significant way,