Interesting. Ds9 had the severe flattening to the right rear of his head with the left eye injury and the torticollis (neck injury). That affected his sense of balance, vestibular, spatial awareness, sensory processing, and so on from day 1. When ds was a baby, I had ots telling me that it was like ds had CP or hemiplagia or a stroke in utero because he had such very limited use of the left side of his body and bilateral coordination (with his brain and body).

My ds has seen six eye doctors (three pediatric ophthalmologists and three pediatric behavioral optometrists) so far between NYC and MA. They all agree on ds's visual deficits from birth, but they've differed on the prognosis, treatment, and what's happened since then or for the future. I had actually asked one of the pediatric behavioral optometrists when ds was between 4-6 yrs old doing VT re cranial nerve palsy and equivalent since there's been a number of kids born with tort that end up having it.

I've gone nutty at times between what the ophthalmologists and optometrists have said and differ and what that darn 1% visual subtest score means and entails.

The last eye doctor said that neuro optometry or connections between vision and neurology are only just emerging now and that it's a new field. I can say that the vestibular is very closely aligned with visual system as does the ability to cross midline with the brain and body. And if a child (as others have mentioned) are unable to make cross midline and/or have a poor vestibular, then the body/brain will take the path of least resistance and neural pathways will go elsewhere to avoid doing the 'hard' work.

Maybe it's me, but it seems like there are differences between left/right eye injuries. Maybe this depends on which eye is dominant or becomes more dominant due to an injury.

With ds being left eye injury/ right brain injury and neck injury, he couldn't sit still for two minutes when he was younger and there was no way he could play a video game like PacMan or Asteriods, for instance (yes, I'm dating myself here) or something like Minecraft. Ds finds Minecraft and other video games too stimulating. I also think, though, he's spatially unable to track things visually with movement and use his hands at the same time. He gets frustrated and annoyed some days that I can type (and type fast) and he can't. But it takes a lot of coordination to type. Yet I know other kids, though, with right eye injuries who can sit for hours playing video games and type pretty well.

At times, I try to find people who study kids like ds, but these people seem few and far between. There are people studying adults and former football players with brain injuries, but there seems to be very few who study children.