Has anyone else been completely caught off guard by vision problems? We have seen social problems, emotional regulation issues, gross and fine motor troubles, but I just never imagined any vision problems.

We had a psycho educational assessment done for DS5 this year. The psychologist used the WJ-cog and due to some pretty big discrepancy between subtests, she recommended a behavioural optometry assessment. We have had one done, and it appears that DS has convergence insufficiency, tracking problems, trouble with visually crossing the midline, and that he uses his posture to partially block one visual field in order to avoid having to integrate his two visual fields. We never even suspected this, and it seems like a fair few issues not just one little small problem. I couldn't help feeling a bit sceptical of the report because how can a boy with so many visual issues teach himself to read by 3 and keep flying through reading levels until he is 4 years above grade level? But we attended his first vision therapy appointment yesterday, and I watched as he tried to track a pingpong ball on a string swinging above his head. His eye movement was jerky and all over the place. He also got tired very easily as he was asked to do different exercises.

I have read some threads on here about people having success with vision therapy, so I am hoping we will start to see some improvement soon, although I am not sure what improvement I am looking for since I hadn't noticed the problem.

We have an OT assessment today because he is having a grade skip next year and his handwriting is behind. The vision therapy should hopefully help with that too. Anyway, we will see what the OT assessment turns up.