Originally Posted by polarbear
FWIW, I actually would be cautious of doing the skip (please don't think I'm anti-skip - I'm not!)… but in this situation, I'm one parent who would think twice about it, so maybe some of the things I'm thinking are similar to what your school is thinking (?)… anyway, if they are, if I put them out there, you'll have a chance to think through them smile I'm also glad I haven't skipped any of my kids because selfishly I want them home as long as I can. I didn't necessarily feel that way when they were younger, but the older they get and the closer they get to their college years, the more I realize I want to stretch out their childhood at home just a wee bit longer.

polarbear

I wonder about all these issues as well! I am not even ready for DD10 to go to middle school - never mind DD9!! I have been looking for small charter schools which have staff willing to keep a watchful eye on DD9. Honestly, if we had a school that would single subject DD in both LA AND math that would be great. But our district makes a family choose what subject they want for SSA. One can't have the child do both. Isn't that crazy? Then, what about the other subjects? DD already knows the experiments done in science because DD10 did them last year. And the fact that DD does not do well socially with other 9 year olds. Ugh. This is so stressful. Do I add that DD's teacher is not the best (as posted elsewhere!)?
I did have an interesting conversation with the psychologist today. She is all for a grade skip, and is also going to ask the school for an IEP vs a 504 to address both the giftedness and the ADHD (inattentive). The school stated that because DD is not getting poor grades she would get a 504. The psych. insists that because DD is so advanced plus has a LD that she needs a gifted IEP. How will this all play out is anyone's guess. Our state rarely offers gifted IEP's.

Question - how do schools handle the other subjects if a child is SSA for both math and language arts? Does the teacher give differentiated work there as well? Then it seems that the child might as well go to the next grade anyway. I would like to hear how people found ways not to grade skip yet kept their child engaged and challenged (and happy!).