Anyone have experience with this spelling program? I love the concept of teaching spelling by patterns/roots. But. Last year I observed my first grader completely spacing out when it was time for this work. This year it's homework and nothing but meltdowns. I finally did the spelling inventory with DD myself and found a list of what skills are covered in which sorts. It took nearly two months to get differentiated lists (they did sight words and common, easy lists to "learn the routine"), and yet I see DD is in the early derivational relations phase but is with three other kids in the highest group working on within word patterns. Now, there are a lot of words between the assigned list and the ones DD apparently tested into, words she probably could use practice with. And just last week we had a fun discussion about the pattern of plurals for words ending in Y (add an S vs change to -ies). But maybe she should just do really challenging words? She adores word root study and grammar, pretty much anything from Michael Clay Thompson she can tell you all about. I've already talked to the teacher about differentiating practice when DD could spell the words correctly the first day of the week... Basically we have to do some related work, because our (gifted standards focused!) charter is work-based. Anyone been through this program before? Any advice about challenging spelling pattern lists vs dutifully working through words?

Here's the inventory (she missed four words at the end, but scored a 79/87 and her errors put her in the derivational relations phase):
Spelling inventory

Here's the word sort lists. She's placed at within word #37...
Word sort lists