Hello friends,

I'm new here and eager to talk to some other parents of gifted children. I also have questions about the Young Scholar program, if anyone can comment.

Some background:
We have three children, ages 11, 7, and 5. While I believe all three are gifted, our youngest has been unusually precocious. Examples: she identified letters and numbers at 20-22 months. By 2-1/2, she read simple words (mom, dad, hi, bye, duck, cat). By 3 to 3-1/2 she was reading well, and by 4 had surpassed most K-level skills (reading, writing, simple math, etc.).

Also by age 4, she had an intense desire to be in school "like the big kids." After realizing there was no way we could get the public school to accept her (Michigan's age cutoff is 5 by Dec 1; she has a January birthday), we got her into K at a private Christian school this year. It has been a huge financial hardship for us, but she has had a wonderful year and thrived there by all accounts.

For next year, she is enrolled into first grade at the public school. So she is already accelerated one full year. Now I am badgering the public school to commit to a plan to let her start first grade with some subject acceleration, at least in reading.

Recently she took the Wood****-Johnson Achievement Test for Reading. We're told this test usually is given starting in 1st grade/age 6, so it was a high-ceiling test for her. I thought she would do well but was shocked at the final score: 99.9th percentile. The test pinpoints her "Instructional Reading Level" as beginning of third grade. The tester suggested we look into the YS program for her, so... here we are. smile

My questions:
First, I've begun filling out the YS application and, frankly, I'm overwhelmed! Anyone else feel this way? I am worried I won't relate the right incidents or answer the questions correctly... and I don't want to mess this up.

Second, we can't afford a full IQ test right now. I'm wondering what happens if she is accepted into the program based on the WJ Achievement Test score + portfolio, and we do the IQ test within a year of acceptance as required, and those scores aren't high enough? Then what happens? (I guess I'm worried the high WJ test score was a fluke.)

Third, on the YS Application Form, I'm not sure which info to put in the "Academic" section--the private school where she's currently in K (for 2 more weeks)? Or the public school where she'll start 1st grade in the fall?

Last question: How long does it usually take for Davidson to reply, once they've received the full Application + Recommendation Forms?

Thanks to all who have read this far--sorry the post is so long!