Thanks to everyone for a really interesting discussion. I'm following along closely, and am hearing some very helpful perspectives. It seems clear that lots of the parents who have encouraged their children to start playing an instrument early are themselves musicians or people who played instruments from a young age. My DW and I fit that category too, and perhaps it's not surprising that people who value something hope their children will value it too. But another consistent refrain seems to be that music is an area where children can learn how important it is to work hard. People say that about athletics too, sometimes. With kids for whom accomplishment at school comes easy, this can be a valuable lesson.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions in general about how to teach the value of working hard at something. I noticed lately with DS that he loves playing math games that are easy for him, but if he has to think then he switches off. It's as if he's scared to think. I don't believe that he's scared to fail, since that doesn't seem to be a general trait of his. He just seems unhappy that the answer hasn't immediately popped into his head, and so he starts trying anything that occurs to him. The problem doesn't require much thinking, and it's thinking he knows how to do, but somehow he'll do anything to avoid it. I suppose the equivalent in music is playing the pieces you already know well instead of the pieces that need work. Any tricks for encouraging the latter?

BB