So - this is my first real post here. Wednesday we get the results from the psych assessment for DD(almost)8, with suspected LD. This is new territory for us. I’m leaping between elation at the idea of maybe finally getting some first hints of what’s going on, and terror that this may be just the first step down that long dark road of vagueness and zillions of assessments and still not being able to figure out how to help make life a little easier for the poor girl.

OK, I admit it. I want a magic pill that makes her happy and enjoying school and life again. And having read hundreds of threads here, I know there isn’t one. But I can wish, can’t I?

I’ve already learned so much from all of you wonderful BTDT parents. Any advice on this first de-brief? Questions you really wished you’d asked when trying to wrap your brain around those first assessment results, but were too stunned to formulate? Things we’d need to know coming out of this meeting in order to make intelligent choices about next steps? (I don’t yet know what tests were done other than the WISC-IV (which DD enjoyed), plus another 4 hours of other things (which she did not.))

Our identifiable big challenges are focus, reading and writing. The kinds of descriptions that most resonate with what we see are: ADHD inattentive (big time), auditory processing, and - just for fun - an almost perfect match for SIlverman’s descriptions of visual-spatial learner problems with reading and writing… Some dyslexia descriptions ring bells (but they vary widely). Dysgraphia doesn’t fit well, despite writing being a huge problem. She may be just mild LD, or, as we increasingly suspect, more severe but 2E with some major compensating mechanisms.

I realize this question is probably premature, but I thought I’d ask if there’s anything you think we should know before going in. I’m most grateful for your help!