I think that's very important, Dottie.

Weighing the harm of not skipping, harm that's being done to a child now, harm that's visible and real, against some hypothetical "won't he be traumatized if he can't drive when his classmates can?" makes it clear how goofy that non-specific sort of argument tends to be.

"Yes, let's bore the kid silly for 10 years on the faulty assumption that all kids develop facial hair at the same time." <eye roll>

Generic, hypothetical arguments against grade-skipping--or any other deviation from the path kids are "supposed" to take--don't impress me. Yes, he might not be happy with the skip sometime down the line. But if you KNOW he's not happy without it, it seems to me to be an easy choice in that case! The problems today are real. Deal with the "what-ifs" of tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

BTW, we got the same sort of thing when we decided to homeschool: "What about high school? Will you be teaching him chemistry in your kitchen?" The kid was 6yo at the time! Can we worry about high school chemistry a little closer to when it's relevant?!? crazy

Frankly, I think it's just a scare tactic. A way to snap us back into line. I don't find that sort of thinking to be useful at all to the actual children involved.

Kriston