Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
Is this a charter school, or private? It seems really extreme for a regular run of the mill public school. I would not be ok at all with their homework expectations/policy for such little kids. This school sounds toxic.

It happens in public schools. My daughter had an appendectomy a while back. Her roommate (same problem) was in kindergarten or first grade. My DD was out after three days/two nights, but this girl had a more serious case, and was stuck in the hospital for 5 or 6 nights. I barely saw her stand up the whole time we were there. Our nights 1 and 2 were nights 3 and 4 for her, so she was pretty ill. She was attached to an IV unit the whole time we were there.

She was doing homework in her hospital bed --- all three days we were there. That tiny little girl was expected to write a journal entry every day (at least one paragraph IIRC), do math worksheets, and so on. It was ridiculous, and her mother told me she went to a local public school. It was a "high achieving" public school, whatever that means.

And to add insult to injury surgery, we were all there during a school vacation. mad