I agree with madeinuk, "there is absolutely no contradiction between choosing to believe in a 'higher power' and also accepting the truth of Evolution". We are fairly active in our particular religious community and our religious leaders regularly speak about both creation and evolution and how you can believe both.

We live in such a diverse place - we have every religious and non religious type here. When my DS is at school, it's a veritable UN at the lunch table - every continent (ok, not Antarctica), every race, religion is represented. (Except my son's 3rd grade peers are far more competent than the real UN.) My son is used to being his "representative" and is used to sitting and learning from his friends who are different. It's great.

We don't push any of our kids to cling onto our family religion but of course we would love for them to embrace it as adults. However, given our family history, we think it is VERY important for our children to embrace the notion of a higher power (whether that's a deity, a spirit or just the notion that there is a higher power to be found in the presence of others who share and are healing from the disease of addiction) and that each of them is NOT the highest power in his/her life. We have had family members literally saved from death by 12 step "higher powers" and some who have died from their addictions because they thought they could cure themselves. So, I throw out our thoughts and experiences because many people see 2 distinct camps - theist or atheist. I find there is a 3rd group - non-theist but not willing to state that he/she is THE highest power in his/her life. Just something to think about. :-)

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 09/22/14 05:18 PM.