Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
Also do other non religious types talk about creation here? We are agnostics/athiests so our kids have never even heard of god, wondering if this is a right time to introduce the concept.

Even if you don't live in a particularly religious community, your child is likely to encounter the idea fairly soon, if from no other sources than media (movies/books/music). And if your area is religious, then your child is likely to start hearing about god as soon as they start school.

Our DD was 4 or 5 when she came into contact with the idea of god, and asked if he was real. We're atheists, so we said no. Then she started getting into arguments with her friend from a Catholic family, of the "No, he isn't!", "Yes, he is!" variety. I had to ask DD to stop doing that because both her and her friend know nothing on the subject other than what they've been told by their parents. And while these parents were fairly tolerant, there's no guarantee for the next kid she argues with.

In the years since, it has been a topic of some interest for DD. She frequently asks questions of me on the subject. She also discusses it with her religious friends, in the manner of probing for their perspectives, and making sure to keep her own perspectives close to her vest. She has her own copy of the Bible, which she looks at from time to time, and she has attended church with her friends' families, plus religious camps.

For her it's all about understanding other perspectives, because if you don't believe in a god, then it's quite a mystery why anyone would. It's an understanding DW and I have been actively promoting, not just for developing religious tolerance, but because that can grow into tolerance of all sorts of varieties of beliefs/lifestyles.

I fully agree with the last paragraph.

We are coming at it from the other direction - we are a somewhat lax Roman Catholic (cafeteria catholics, if you will) family and are bringing our daughter up exposed to RC teachings.

My SIL and her family are atheist as are several of our friends, others are Jewish, Hindu, Muslim (Shia and Sunni) or Buddhist in addition to the usual northern US smattering of various Christian sects. Our DD first encountered atheism through her cousins and then other religions/sects as her understanding of the world and her social network expanded.

Our aim is to encourage our daughter to understand that it is entirely up to others what they choose to believe. In this country the social fault lines appear to be artificially drawn between the 'religious nutters' and the 'scientists'.

But there is absolutely no contradiction between choosing to believe in a 'higher power' and also accepting the truth of Evolution in my mind, at all. I hope to bring raise my DD to be just as logical and accepting of others' beliefs.

Become what you are