Thank you all so much. I had decided to homeschool this year until DD insisted on going to K to make more friends, so I hadn't given much thought to advocacy. DD is the quiet, incognito gifted type who absolutely will not advocate for herself. When the "how many ways you can count to 5" homework came through it became readily apparent to me I had to speak up to be sure she was getting a little challenge. DD completed EPGY 2nd grade math in the spring when I was testing the waters on what I wanted to use for homeschool curriculum so counting to 5 was a bit of a shock.

DD is currently reading at probably about a mid 3rd grade level but will happily read anything of any level that interests her. The teacher is planning on using texts (Magic Tree House has been suggested) that are quite a bit below DD's reading level, but the teacher thinks there may be another child in the adjoining classroom who may be capable of reading them so they can be a reading group together. I thought a reading group of 2 would be great since MTH has lots of things beyond the text to talk about, research etc.

AEH, thank you for bringing up the fine motor expectations of first grade. DD has shown significant progress in the past weeks in her writing expression. She has gone from "scribbling notes" to complete sentences with appropriate spacing and punctuation, but may not be able to meet the writing output expectations of higher level LA instructions at this time. I am thankful the teacher is willing to work with us and seems genuinely enthusiastic about the prospect of figuring out how to best support DD.

Thank you all again for helping me with my sanity check smile