I am feeling a little silly asking this question, so here it goes. DD5 started K this fall. DD is stronger in reading then in math, maybe a grade or so, and initially the recommendation was to do some sort of pull out for reading (program yet to be formed and determined). Then DD's teacher was contacted and she suggested grade acceleration in math and she remain in K for differentiation in LA. The teacher feels with more difficult books she can challenge DD in LA, but math is not something she can address as easily since DD is so far ahead already.

While I understand what the teacher is saying and I am willing to try her methods, I guess I never thought the school may try to accelerate in DD's relative weakest subject. I totally agree she needs acceleration in math as well as LA and we are working with the school for whole grade acceleration to first but this is the solution in the meantime. Is this common practice to accelerate math first when LA is a greater strength because LA is easier to differentiate?

Last edited by TNC; 09/19/14 10:07 AM. Reason: clarity