Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
On the other hand, it is possible that colleges may not look at AP Environmental Science in quite the same way as AP Chemistry or AP Physics.
I wonder to what extent an interdisciplinary subject such as environmental science can be studied at the college level without the prerequisites of college-level biology, chemistry, physics, and perhaps even economics.

Simple-- it's a survey course. A mile wide, and an inch deep.

It's no more rigorous than the general education science courses that I used to teach to students from all over the campus.

Then again, that's what you have to bear in mind about most AP coursework-- it's at that Gen Ed level, with a few exceptions.

And I agree, Quantum-- there isn't much to show that spiraling like this actually produces good results in the end. But that's what I think it is-- so it's not exactly that higher level content is being pushed downward. Well, it sort of is, I guess. But without genuine mastery of the foundation, for most students (even bright ones) it just can't stick.

It's like trying to paint a teflon building by racing around it in a clown-car spraying a mixture of paint on the walls at each pass with a firehose mounted on the car. IMO, it seems more effective to prepare the surface well and do it meticulously, but the cartoon clown-car approach is a lot more exciting and certainly LOOKS more impressive.

(You're welcome, btw. I dare anyone not to crack a smile and think of that metaphor when encountering an earnest clow-- er-- educator-administrator espousing the wonders of spiraling pedagogy. grin )

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.