This still varies a lot depending on school district and state. My district in general doesn't allow AP courses as a freshman, and only offers one AP for sophomores.

My general understanding was that one either took Calculus AB OR Calculus BC, but that may depend on how it is taught. The way it's taught at DS's school taking AB, then BC would be repeating a lot of information. Calculus BC covers more material but my experience is it is taught as a either or option. But I could see how it could be intentionally taught that way - and possibly is at your school, but that isn't how it was taught when I was in H.S. nor as DS's High School.

My son is in the fastest normal math track. He took Geometry in 8th grade, Algebra II last year, is taking Pre-Calculus, will hopefully take BC Calc next year, and then will either take AB Statistics or AB Computer Science his senior year. Our school district does not teach any class beyond BC Calculus, the other math option computer science and statistics do not require calculus. The one or two kids that are off this track either tack courses at the local university or just don't take a full 4 years of math. In my state only 2 years of math taken IN H.S. is required, and passing Algebra.

What my district does is the "normal" track is Physical Science for 9th grade, Biology for 10th grade. (That is all that is required to graduate), Chemistry for 11th grade and then maybe one AP or class like Marine Biology, AP Environmental Science, or another AP if you did well enough. For the honors kids they take Biology 9th grade, Chemistry (10th grade), and then for junior & senior year have a choice between AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics I, all of witch require the regular or honors Biology & Chemistry course. The honors versions of these classes use what look like college texts.

As for Science, keep in mind that the AP Classes have changed. As of this year AP Physics B has changed drastically, to a 2 year sequence. Our district never taught AP Physics C (with calculus) and are now only offering AP Physics 1 (Mechanics w/ out Calculus) even though they have more than enough students who take AP Calculus junior year to fill a full year of Calculus based Physics.

As for Literature... if you are in the honors track. The school turns AP Literature into a unofficial 2-year course. Honors Sophomore English is American Lit and those students take AP Literature their junior year and do the British Literature in junior year. Then then offer AP Language as a senior class. For social students AP U.S. History is offered sophomore year, unlike every other school I know even in our district who offers in junior year. AP World or AP Eur are optional junior courses. All freshman are required to take a freshman social studies course.

In our district unless one is VERY advanced in math and in ready for Calculus one can't take an AP until sophomore year. In sophmore year you can only take AP History, and A.P. Music Theory if you have space in your schedule. But by junior year most top 'honors' students take 4 full AP Classes.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/14/14 02:06 PM.