Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
I'm grateful there are blogs out there like this, but.... I actually find them really depressing. As someone starting out on this journey all I keep seeing is doom and gloom, how my kid is destined to be a miserable out cast etc. I just can't believe it for her sake. I know she will have some social issues but I want to read positive stories about how people have got their kids to be successful and happy!
In addition to what's already been mentioned about self-selection, one should also remember the old adages about tragedy selling newspapers. When we were children, my parents actually fielded inquiries from some news organizations hoping to put out stories on one of us. When it became clear that this child was rather normal overall (other than intellectual giftedness) and probably more psychologically-stable than average, the interview interest cooled quickly.

I will say that there has been some progress in this area, in the decades since.

As to this type of blog: those who ascribe their suffering to giftedness will feel validated, those who feel negatively about giftedness will feel the kind of comfort that comes from the downfall of the wealthy or famous, and those who are happy and contented probably won't pay any attention to them.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...