Update on my update.

The psychologist just updated the report. Looks a bit better. The basics like the scores are the same but she did include the GAI of 135. And did fix up a few of the sections. I was a bit worried that she would drop the LD label because I had a chat with her about how it's not that he doesn't know how to construct an essay. She did change the dx slightly, but I still have enough to send it to school and ask for an IEP. Not sure yet where that will go, but I'd been holding off till that was fixed.

He has been back in school almost two weeks. It's been going OK although it was rough the first few days. He had one writing assignment based on his summer reading. Since he got the prompt and was able to talk it through me the night before he said it went well. Math and science are both graded on completion but math class is still heavily based on tests, and it shouldn't be as hard as large year. He just was frustrated because the first week had a huge amount of review homework. Not at all happy about his science teacher. Just heard from another parent that her son had her as a freshman and says that she is very disorganized. I had heard this from other avenues. Mixing that with a disorganized student doesn't make a good fit at all.

Bad news is the educational therapist I lined up last year, can't work with him this fall for several reasons. I was really frustrated when she told me but I've gotten over it. So now I'm back to looking for someone to tutor him. I have contacted someone and am hoping to find a graduate student in English from a local university. Bio's of these students make me feel it could be a good fit. His most pressing need for one-on-one help is for his content creation and literary analysis and these students should be qualified to help.

DS is super busy and has to get up very early. Sleep is already an issue. We did slip in a visit to the DMV yesterday and I now have a kid who has passed his written test and will be getting behind the wheel very soon. But I gave up trying to fit in everything after school, taking up precious downtime and am just pulling him out of school for a physical with his pediatrician next week.

He has also clearly made a few friends. I finally connected with one of the other mom's and it's a shame we didn't meet earlier. Her son's been going through many of the same things, and he is in band, and lives in our neighborhood. Looks like the boys are going to get to room together on the spring band trip. This makes me so happy.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/11/14 04:31 PM.