Our story: DS8 is partially homeschooled. He does all academics at home, all specials at school. I had a meeting at his school recently just to clear some issues up. This is our 4th year at this school. We've had completely wacky experiences, yet we do our specials there because DS really likes it and there is some value in it.

Anyway, at our most recent meeting, the principal was now trying to "sell" their new math teacher to me. They have never had a real math teacher before. My son was accelerated 3 years in math last year, but this year he does it all at home. The principal wants him to come back and do math there and that's not happening. They teach Everyday Math there. 'Nuff said. As part of the math teacher's pitch , he stated that the curriculum is great because it reinforces what is happening today in mathematicians' workplaces. He stated that mathematicians today "write out their answers" a la the style of Everyday Math. My son does what was formerly known as EPGY. This new teacher was telling me that EM was superior to EPGY because EM was more relevant. So, math people (or STEM people who use a lot of math at work), is this true? I assumed that he was speaking nonsense, but he says that he was working for 10 years as a mathematician and that the way math is done in the workplace is being "revolutionized" and includes far more writing now. Just curious what math people have to say about this.