"Evening out" is an extreme oversimplification of the value of early reading. Early fluent readers (who enjoy excellent comprehension) can enjoy literature at a (much) younger age, as well as teach themselves any nonfiction topic that is of interest to them (and I've personally seen my kiddos run with this one; there is an unbelievable value to this skill). It is NOT simply a matter of reading - it is a matter of access to knowledge and wonderful stories. Meanwhile, reading strengthens vocabulary skills, as well as skills that will later be used in writing, spelling, etc.

Yes, other children eventually learn to read, but the early readers have undeniably been granted early access to an amazing world of stories, information, and unfettered LEARNING.

I completely, totally agree with this. Reading strengthens a lot of academic skills needed in later elementary years/middle school/high school etc. I have seen kids who are just disruptive (doing anything but reading) during quiet reading time, and other kids who are so into their books that they don't even notice the disruptive kids. It annoys me when some teachers say reading evens out -- I think they just focus on the reading mechanics (reading, comprehension, answer x number of questions about the book) and don't encourage reading, because it is fun, informative, and is a wonderful world with imaginative stories.