I was dreading it because I checked out the teacher bio on Linkedin and found that her college education had no relationship to teaching. She has no prior work experience as well. I was not sure how such a person could do a competent job in a career for which they had no training.

But, my child finished 1 week of school and told me that she is the best teacher that he has ever had because she was great fun, very lively and was teaching several subjects in a day with a good mix of hands on projects and traditional teaching. She has a time slot for their "daily science experiment" which all kids loved and lots of music and art thrown in. He especially loved that some of her science experiments do not go as planned and they had to get the janitor in to clean up the mess they all made. My son seems to think that second grade was the best thing that happened to him since he left preschool (especially after his disastrous K and 1st grade experiences).
And the teacher told me that she would try to differentiate work content for my son based on his abilities - which I am skeptical about, but will wait and see. All in all, we had an unexpectedly good start to the year.

We are picking up after schooling again after a 2 week break, and will probably keep chugging along in math and LA this year.