thanks indigo.
We had a meeting at school this morning and my daughter is still in school. We will talk to her over the weekend.
We used the Iowa scale when she was originally tested for whole grade acceleration 2 years ago (and decided not to accelerate at that time - based on achievement scores for math at the 2 year above-grade test). She scored 59 points of the 80, making her a good candidate for acceleration. In the meantime she has worked with a math tutor outside of school (because she was begging for more math work and loves to solve math problems instead of getting sleep) - she has completed 4th grade math this summer and is starting Pre-Algebra next week.
We are at a new school for her, so new friendships have only been established for 1 week, making this an ideal time to change classrooms if needed.
The school is not willing to give information on how many other kids have been accelerated a whole grade but I know they have a number of them. Also they have 7-8 children per grade level (3-4 classrooms per grade level) with SSA. They also accomodate children with 2 year grade skips in math if indicated (6th grade math is provided by a teacher since enough children qualify for this service. 7th grade math will be online for now but may become teacher-led too).
My daughter makes friends easily and fits in well with both 2nd and 3rd graders. She is very short for her age and acts very playful (more so than the majority of third graders :)).