My DD7 attends a magnet school that focuses on AG kids. She is in second grade this year, with "Single" Subject acceleration in math as well as language. She was evaluated in Kindergarten, and not deemed a good candidate for whole grade acceleration (mostly based on her math achievement at the time and her being the youngest/ smallest child in her class). She takes an after-school math class with a private tutor who works her at 5th grade level.

We transferred to this school hoping for better AG support. Recently I was told that we can have the acceleration in 2 subjects but DD will not receive any pull-out AG services.

Other AG children who do not have acceleration receive 2 pull-outs in math and 2 pull-outs in language every week. I wonder how beneficial this acceleration will be if the class she goes into is missing the AG children half of the time. She will only get instruction with the slower learners. AG Basics classes don't start until 4th grade.

We have a meeting later this week to discuss this issue, and to discuss a potential double-skip in math (since she already takes 5th grade classes after school it would not be a stretch to attend 4th grade math at school).

What do you think the impact is of attending a higher level class, that is void (half the time) of same-level learners?

Has anybody had child in 3 different grades? She might end up with a second grade "home" classroom, 3rd grade language and 4th grade math class. She has good social skills and gets along very well with children in different grades, so I don't foresee problems with that.

I look forward to hearing any advice you may have for us and for our meeting.