Originally Posted by blackcat
Is the teacher flexible enough that she'd let DD do Khan Academy instead? Tell her that DD is frustrated with Ten Marks and greatly prefers Khan Academy (and the reasons why Ten Marks is frustrating for her).

I don't think so. I know she could probably do Khan Academy when she finishes her Ten Marks assignment. Dd did ask her teacher about 2 weeks ago if she could do harder stuff on Ten Marks and the teacher said that if she passes the assessments/assignments she'll get harder material.

Also, ask if there is a way she can do above-level testing to find out what skills she has mastered and what she still needs to work on. DS took the district math test for the grade level ahead and he did well (99 percent?) so I'm going to ask if they can give him 2 grades ahead. Not because I want to move him two grades ahead, but so we can see what skills are mastered/not mastered. Perhaps if the teacher sees results like that, she would be willing to let her do the correct level on Khan Academy, or worksheets at the correct level. Of course all of this is easier said than done. Our district does above-level computerized testing (like MAP) which is helpful, then parents can just point out the score rather than trying to convince teachers based on their own personal observations.

I don't think that will happen. They took MAPS assessment and the teacher didn't even refer to them, so why they even take them is beyond me. They rely on their 'assessments' and, sadly, consider them valid enough for placement. I did show the teacher at the beginning of the year what dd had done over the summer and she was very impressed, but it didn't change the level instruction at all.

With DD in third grade last year, she was stuck doing the dumb grade-level math at the same pace as everyone else. Her computerized math scores were very high, which the teacher was aware of, but still didn't seem to see the necessity of teaching at the correct level. She got "enrichment packets" to work on a couple times per week on her own, and the teacher thought that was sufficient. I knew I wouldn't get very far so just did what I could with her at home and let the teacher do her thing.

I'm afraid that's what I'll probably end up having to do. Dd#1 is in 5th grade and while looking at her EM workbook/journal this evening it seemed like the perfect instructional level for dd#2. So I may just end up purchasing it online and having her do it for homework, especially since they don't have homework.