As I stated in another section, DD9 is not excited about going back to yet another year of school. Because she doesn't share much, we didn't know just how much she disliked school until recently.
Yesterday we had a great visit with a psychologist who works strictly with kids, many who have been diagnosed with ADHD. DD was diagnosed ADHD inattentive type last spring. For the first time I felt like we met someone who could really help our daughter and DH and I (parenting skills!!). Psych. just looked at the scores and bluntly stated that no public school in this area would be able to accommodate her because of her IQ. She even called DD an "outlier" as schools cater to the middle section of kids. Wow. DH and I really were hit with that - we kind of thought that, but to have the psych say it was powerful.
Ok, today we went to the meet the teacher event at DD's school. Several of us parents swarmed the AG teacher to find out what was going on with the AG for this year. We find out that it's being cut to nothing (maybe 30 minutes a week?) AND the AG teacher is being pushed into "co-teaching" with the regular teachers. Well, AG wasn't much to begin with so what do we have now? In addition, the school has always made a point of putting placing kids together with at least one special friend in the next grade. Big sister got both her BFFs in her class. DD did not. What is that???? Her friend is the one highlight of school!!! Our other hope for this school was single subject acceleration in math. She still has that with a really sweet teacher. DD will be with the 5th graders for math.
So, do we do sit tight and see how this goes? One mom whose child is gifted place him in a "STEAM" charter school, and she recommended it (it's brand new and may have spaces left). Another mom just said do home schooling. I already have DD set up in a supplemental academy for gifted kids (meets after school hours). I just feel overwhelmed at making a change and then wonder if it's the right thing to do. On a side note, DD has had some trauma in her life, and so I worry about more change for her.