Yes.. I know it's not just for juniors. I think school is trying to combat the super high pressure to start SAT test prep for kids really young by trying to tell parents it's only for junior year. Many of the parents are super obsessed by these tests, and some kids start SAT prep very young. There might be a reason for not taking the PSAT this year, as the PSAT will be brand "new" for the 2015/16 school year, the PSAT won't be as good to use as practice.

My guess is I can just "register" my son for the PSAT. That the person registering the students, isn't the person who I asked. That there isn't any rule against it. I have no problem having my son take the ACT Aspire, I get the impression it's partly a career assessment tool and it wouldn't hurt for my son to take one of those. And I think that assessment is the counseling department wants them to take this test for the this assessment tool.

If I have to CHOOSE, I would have my son PSAT this fall. At least the news was I can sign up later, it will just cost more. I'm leaning toward signing him up for the PSAT and seeing what happens.